I’m new to this forum (I found this thread via a Google search on fungi). I hope it’s not too late...
I'm new to this forum (I found this thread via a Google search on fungi). I hope it's not too late to respond to this thread, seeing as how it's eleven years old (2006-2017).
First off, I'm not an expert on fungi, but I had a fungus in one of my toe nails, which was noticeable due to the discolored yellow color. Also, I don't have a strong background in biological sciences, but I have a degree in Chemistry/Materials Sciences, which was slightly helpful in treating my toe nail fungus - mainly with my familiarity with chemicals and pH levels. Hopefully my treatment method might help someone who has toe nail fungus (or some other fungal/yeast infection).
I had my toe nail fungus for a month before I decided to treat it. During that period, I read as much as I could about treating toe nail fungi on the internet. I read some people having success in treating their fungus with apple cider vinegar (pH between 3-5). I used distilled white vinegar (pH of 2.5), since I had a gallon of it. I considered buying several toe nail fungus treatment products on Amazon, based on their reviews, but I ended up buying a 1 oz. bottle of Pro Clearz for $6 at a local store. In addition to the vinegar and the Pro Clearz, I decided to use concentrated bleach (pH ~ 12.5). I hadn't read about anybody using bleach to treat their toe fungus, but I know that bleach is a powerful disinfectant, and it can kill just about anything.
I read some people soaking their infected toe in vinegar for 5-15 minutes daily, but I ended up soaking my toe in it for about an hour, 3-4 times a week. In addition, I would soak my toe in concentrated bleach for about an hour 3-4 times a week (sometimes on the same day as I soaked my toe in vinegar - while rinsing off my toe so that the vinegar and the bleach wouldn't react with each other). I didn't have scheduled days when I used vinegar or concentrated bleach; I just soaked my toe in them when I had time. I would massage my toe in the vinegar/ concentrated bleach, to make sure that the liquid would penetrate deep into my toe nail and attack the fungus. Also, I would clip/file off as much of the infected/dead toe nail as possible, which helped the vinegar/concentrated bleach penetrate deeper. Finally, I applied the Pro Clearz 2-3 times daily.
My objective was to punish the fungus, and make it's life miserable by exposing it to very acidic (vinegar) and very alkaline (concentrated bleach) conditions. The Pro Clearz was extra punishment for the fungus. Within a few weeks, the infected toe nail grew out and a healthy toe nail replaced it.
I'd read that toe nail fungi can't be killed and it'll keep coming back, but I treated my toe fungus over a year ago, but it hasn't come back. Also, I haven't re-treated my toe nail with vinegar, concentrated bleach, or Pro Clearz ever since the fungus disappeared. I 99% certain that I killed the fungus, otherwise my toe nail would've been reinfected by now, because once it's in your toe nail, it'll infect the entire toe nail quickly (for my toe nail, it was completely discolored within a week).
My point of this post is if you have a fungus, try using vinegar AND concentrated bleach (regular bleach is weaker - concentrated bleach is more powerful and it only costs slightly more at about $3.50 per gallon). The vinegar and concentrated bleach will cost under $7 total for a gallon of each. And if you want, buy some anti-fungal medication (go to Amazon and read the reviews before you buy anything). The anti-fungal medications can be fairly expensive ($5-$25+ for a small bottle) and they're not guaranteed to work, so they might end up being a waste of money, especially if you can treat your infection with just vinegar and concentrated bleach ($7 total).
Personally, I think the vinegar and concentrated bleach will be more than enough to treat your infection, because I doubt any organism can survive very acidic and very alkaline conditions. Many organisms can live between pH 4-9, but they'll die outside of that range.
One warning about concentrated bleach is that it might slightly burn your skin because it's powerful (it didn't burn my skin), but if you can tolerate it, then it'll do a good job at weakening/killing your fungus.
I hope this information was helpful. Good luck at treating your infection!
(Btw, I probably won't follow to this thread, especially since there have only been several posts in eleven years. I just wanted to post my experience [hoping to help someone] and then move on.)