Forgive me if I'm not doing this right. I'm pretty new to forums in general.
I am new to this forum and have been dealing with mercury symptoms for 8 months. All started after eating a nutritional bar made up of spirulina. I got very very sick for a couple of days and it went downhill from there. Severe brain fox, absolutely ZERO energy, severe memory loss, cognitive problems to the degree I could not spell words like "and," muscle twitching and weakness in my right leg and twitches throughout body, severe emotional swings and panic attacks, digestive issues, and more....
I truly thought I was going to die. Drove my wife nuts.
My hair tissue mineral analysis showed a mercury level at .311 and aluminum at .92. All of the good / nutrient minerals were measured extremely low.
I've shelled out thousands upon thousands of dollars on supplements, lab tests ( thought I had ALS so had countless MRIs, among others), and I am currently seeing a Lyme specialist (although no Lyme tests have come back positive), and Connie Fox (Mercury survivor).
There are SO many conflicting opinions around the value of hair tests, and my Lyme doc wants me to take DMSA and do a urine test. From what I've read DMSA can cause mercury to dump and re-trigger symptoms. He prescribed 8 pills to be taken all at once which seems quite extreme..
Over the past 8 months I have taken ALA, EDTA, and many other things known to cause chelation, although stupidly I didn't realize that when taking them. Needless to say, I felt awful... finally, Connie Fox said STOP taking them and get your body right first. That's been helping.. and now that I;m not feeling horrible all the time am nervous to go backwards by taking the DMSA challenge test.
What have others done to prove to themselves they are mercury toxic?
I too have had these twitches and actually had kidney failure from this. I have been using sulfur to chelate the mercury out of the body. It seems to be working slowly. I have had sinus issues and pain from the mercury. The mercury is being sprayed in the air and we are inhaling it. Give sulfur a try if you wish to. It is definitely helping me.
After chelating with both EDTA and sulfur, my kidney function has returned and I no longer need dialysis. That was a great day. The function wasn't perfect last time but enough I didn't need dialysis.
I don't feel the EDTA was doing nearly what the sulfur has done. I have a bottle of bulk sulfur and I take about a 1/2 teaspoon a day of it with water. It isn't too distasteful but the sulfur definitely has a rotten egg smell to it. Its not too noticeable.
I've been very aware of the dangers of metals for a few years. I had the sulfur already and knew it would target mercury so I gave it a try. It seems to be the only thing that has helped in any meaningful way. Definitely worth looking at. People are having major sinus issues in our area and I feel it is because of inhaled mercury so sulfur should remove it. It has been a slow road back to health but I do feel every dose helps me. Good luck and keep posting your progress.
Thank you so much for your reply. I am very glad to hear that you are recovering from that nightmare.
It is quite promising to hear that sulfur works so well, and one last question if you don't mind.. but did you have to prepare your body for detoxification before you started? I am hearing that I need to eliminate fungus, bacteria, parasites, yet I don't know that I even have them to worry about. I hate waiting, but also don't want to rush into detox and end up feeling even worse.
You'll know your mercury toxic if you react to chelators or sulfur foods. Having almost all the symptoms from the mercury symptom list is also a major sign.
There's no way to pull out mercury without feeling worse I been working on mercury for years and the stuff keeps pouring out of tissues. Hair test usually doesn't show mercury because mercury is a fat soluble toxin that hides in our tissues and fat. But The hair test can show subtle signs of mercury like low sulfur, low lithium,low iodine, low sodium/potassium ratio(adrenal fatigue) or extremely elevated minerals showing on the hair test test. Mercury detox takes years so be patient.
DMSA or DMPS are safe in capsule form I never used I.V
It has clearly been a nightmare. Great description.
I believe the parasites and other problems are there because we are metal toxic. I try to remove the metals and therefore remove the food for these creatures. I always think of a banana. If you kill all the gnats flying around a banana that is going bad, what do you have tomorrow or the next day? More gnats. You have to fix the banana to remove the bugs. Lower the metals, the food for the parasites goes away. Hope this helps.
However LA can move Hg across the blood brain barrier. If you have more Hg in the blood than in the brain, it will tend to move Hg *into* the brain as seen in the Gregus study of mice. Andy Cutler, PhD Chemistry explains in this discussion. http://onibasu.com/archives/am/74605.html
Having most of the essential elements on a hair test show up low or low-norm is Cutler's "Rule 1." According to his theory, Hg fouls up movement--transport--of minerals in the body. This shows up as statistically strange results on the hair test.
Typically with Rule 1 tests, levels of toxins are rather low. AC does not trust the that the levels of toxins in hair will match body burden when a test matches a Rule. He tends to assume Hg is involved and proceeds to try HM detox.
A close friend had a Rule 1 test and very bad reaction to accidentally taking 100mg doses of ALA in a new formulation of her multivitamin for ten days in the months after Amalgam removal. Thankfully she is much improved to day after years of AC detox plus recommended supplements and some hormone balancing.
You may need some hormone balancing too since Hg really hammers hormone related systems.
In the Yahoo detox groups, the rule of thumb is that when a person has a bad reaction to taking a chelator or high thiol food or supplement, it is another indication that Hg is involved.
With the Rule 1 test, a bad reaction to taking high thiol foods and symptoms that match, I don't think you need the provoked urine test. Cutler and Pompa discuss how flawed they are.
My pre-chelation provoked urine and urine porphyrins tests were clearly normal ad the hair test was barely suspicious for lead and cadmium. However after 1 and 1.5 yrs of AC detox cadmium or lead were in the red and other toxins were in the yellow. The essential element section looked fairly normal. I've never had a hair test that was even close to matching a Cutler Rule I had a lead and cadmium problem, not a Hg problem. I chelated for over five years with DMSA plus ALA with life changing gains--normalized bone density and kidney numbers, improved mood, intellectual ability, and a LONG list of little things that greatly improved or went away.
So DMSA is quite effective for lead--when taken in a safe way!
Results of DMSA Treatment Study, James Adams,et al http://www.scribd.com/doc/15120628/Results-of-DMSA-Treatment-Study
Conclusions - benefits
•DMSA greatly increases excretion of lead, and some increase in excretion of tin, mercury,thallium.
•1 round of DMSA dramatically normalized glutathione levels for at least 1-2 months, and helped normalize platelet levels (marker of inflammation) for at least 4 months
•Severity of Autism Scale. Significant improvement in both groups
However if you take DMSA foolishly and when HMs are involved bad things can happen. Check out this by C Shade, a guy with a PhD in chemistry and whose speciality is enviornmental Hg. If a guy with that background can make this mistake, anyonoe can. As you correctly pointed out, there is so much confusion out there--maybe some of it from those who have something to loose if people understand the truth. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zc3eTtY39eU
When HMs are involved, there *will* be mood struggles. The brain, hormone systems and other related systems are so vulnerable. You don't need to be embarrassed. It is just chemistry. It gets better with safe forms of detox.
Apart from the environmental toxicity, I feel that there is another component to modern sickness with parasites.
While people in the past often lived in small geographic areas the diseases they contracted were all local and of common strains? While they were probably exposed to high levels of pathogens they could handle the burden because they had common strains.
My question is, is it the diversity of modern pathogens like worms, Borrelia, etc that cause major symptoms within a person? You could touch a doorknob in a northern city like Oslo, a climate which normally would expose a person to low levels of parasites, and contract parasites from Asia or Africa.
I know that most pathogens never leave the body, and each strain often has a specific niche (i.e. Borrelia strains), so is it possible that the more diverse a person's pathogen's are (through extensive travel, or interaction with people in cities), the more likely they are to be sick?
Yes. The thing is, once you are infected with 1 type your immune system is depressed and therefore you are easily getting new types. Be it worms, protozoans, bacterias, viruses etc. It is all a matter of immune system. The body is an amazingly complex but well built system, so it can function seemingly well under a high load of parasite burden. Nowadays the number of sick people are on the rise because of the extensive migration, travel and globalised food chains. Also because parasitic diganostics and prevention simply do not exist. So yes, it really is a matter of an immune overload which we daily experience as it has become so easy to get parasites basically anywhere (door knobs, physical contact, food etc)'