If a Lugol’s solution can erode the lining of the stomach/esophagus in large enough concentrations...
If a Lugol's
solution can erode the lining of the stomach/esophagus in large enough concentrations, then this might expose any underlying h. pylori infection to the iodine, which would (or should) then kill it.
That seems like a plausible theory, but then there is the question of how far this has to go before it starts working against you. It's sort of a race to see whether you can kill off the infection before the other poisonous consequences of eroding the mucosal lining manifest, like cancer.
But this is not really the best way to deal with h. pylori.
The "standard" MD treatment for h. pylori (which is also not so good) relies on a triple therapy of an acid blocker like Nexium alongside two different antibiotics, taken over 7 to 10 days. This works about 70% of the time, but in the other 30% where it doesn't, the h. pylori is simply too strong a strain to be killed in this way.
In the 70% of cases where it succeeds, not a few people report that it reappears about 6 months later, which would not be hard to imagine, especially if they kept up with the Nexium, following the misguided perception that their stomach acid was too strong to begin with.
H. pylori thrives in a low acid environment. It even secretes an enzyme (urease) to neutralize stomach acid and make the stomach more alkaline. Wouldn't an acid blocker like Nexium make things easier for the virus to survive?
As is almost always the case, the internet reveals a treasure trove of natural therapies with both anecdotal and scientific support, even if not up to the standards of the FDA. Such is the case with apple-cider vinegar, mastic gum, and Manuka honey.
These therapies seem almost too stupidly simple to possibly work, but you can spend hours reading through reviews on Amazon or watching videos on YouTube attesting to their curative benefits. Yes, in some cases, it could be product puffery, put out by the seller, but most of the sellers would not even make it onto Amazon, if they were unwilling to refund your money in the event you were not satisfied.
I will be testing all of these out along with Iodoral, the tablet form of Lugol's
iodine. And unlike most FDA-approved drugs (especially the ones advertised on TV), the side-effects probably won't be serious enough to kill me. They haven't yet.