Gastritis? Ulcer? Something else?
This is a long post. I sincerely thank everyone who takes the time to read this!
I have suffered from 'mysterious' illness for approx 4 months now with a whole range of symptoms. I was given the diagnosis of gastritis that was viral, but suspicion was placed on a stomach ulcer also. I have had no endoscopies to confirm of either ulcer or gastritis as my local doctor refuses to refer me as they think my original diagnosis of gastritis is wrong now. The only thing I remember doing that could of contributed to the formation of this 'suspected ulcer/gastritis' is that I had spicy nachoes for dinner the night before and 3 of the lowest dose ibuprofens I had for an extremely bad headache. I will list the most prominent details/ailments.
- This all started 4 months ago with a lump in my throat that wouldnt go away and what I suspect was mild acid reflux.
- I would then start passing clear fluid out my bum with uncontrollable wind.
- I then started waking up nauseous and bringing up the same clear liquid most mornings (except this was from my mouth this time) I suspect it was acid?
- I couldnt eat, as I felt far to nauseous. (This nausea has since mostly passed)
- I was urinating very frequently
- If i didnt eat, I would get this burning, gnawing pain in the pit of my stomach that was 24/7. If I did eat, I got the same pain along with intense wind, my whole upper stomach would bloat horrifically and felt like I was going to explode! (Since then I am still experiencing this, except its intense gurgling and wind pain if I have an empty stomach, and severe indigestion when I do. So has improved slightly but not resolved)
- Intense gurgling in my stomach and bowels. This is 24/7.
- I have a deep ache that was across my whole upper abdomen but has since localised to under my left boob. It comes and goes.
- I had intense spasms above/around my belly button. They are powerful enough to take my breath away.
- This stomach pain would sometimes go straight through to my back.
- Have been very constipated
- My sternum feels like it is on fire/aching, and it radiates to my breasts, even my nipples! my chest will feel wheezy, like Ive gone for a run in the cold weather.
- I have developed more recently, unrelenting upper back pain and a stiff neck. Feels like my muscles are seizing up. (This has improved slightly with time)
- extreme muscle twitching
- Have had on and off sneezing and runny nose. Like a cold that never quite develops.
- Have had burning armpits??
- Most nights but not all, I feel like I cant lie on my left side or on my back as my breathing feels constricted.
I understand these are bizarre ailments. I have at times felt like I am going mad. I feel like a hypochondriac who is chronically sick, but these symptoms are very real for me and have near destroyed my life. I swear they are not from anxiety (I was a very happy person before all of this and I had great views for the future). I literally woke up one day and all this started. I have lost contact with friends, my family think I need psychotherapy and my poor boyfriend is even beginning to lose patience with me being bedridden majority of the time now. I worked two years to save up for a holiday in Europe and had to cancel and lose 5000$ of my money because of me being to ill to travel. I have had to give up University. I see no end to my misery and feel helpless. I am alone in this as no one will help me, doctors have told me they have no idea whats wrong and im not dying so to basically get on with life. I have never once had upper stomach pain in my life. Everyone around me just expects me to ignore it and carry on. I have been trying to do so but it is mentally crushing me from the physical stress of it all. I have pain/ extreme discomfort 24/7 the only relief is when Im asleep. No one believes anything is wrong with me.
I have seen a naturopath, physio, general practioner and doctors at my local Emergency Department. (resorted to going there 3x because of intense stomach pain and back pain). All of whom are dumbfounded. Bloods have revealed nothing, x ray revealed nothing, had ultrasound for gallstones, that was clear. Stool sample negative for parasites, throat swab clear. Was given a gastritis diagnosis at the very start of this but the meds didnt help very much and I feel made me more gurgly/gassy so stopped taking them.
Does this sound like something that will pass eventually or am I in need of a Gastro specialist for a separate issue? I am desperate for answers/advice!!!!!