Anytime you ingest ANYthing that dislodges toxins/poisons & dislodges heavy metals, the kidneys (and liver) can EASILY become overburdened. You are wise to be careful/cautious, and that's pretty much 'an obvious', eh?
If our organs of elimination weren't overburdened in the first place, there wouldn't BE a storehouse of toxins & heavy metals already in our body to be removed or dislodged. The kidneys/liver 'missed 'em' the first time around, because for some reason or another, they were too stressed/overburdened to be able to eliminate them...so now all the junk is lodged in your tissues.
So, if you haven't corrected the problem of the organs/systems of elmination & detoxification becoming overburdened in the first place (through throrough & systematically flushing and cleansing of your digestive tract/colon, kidney, and liver, and skin) AND altered your diet and exposure to chemical & metal poisons...if you take a product that is known to dislodge major amounts of toxins and they go into the bloodstream, you would be extremely wise to provide some type of daily support to your kidneys & liver.
Drinking plenty of water is a start, but it's my opinion that's it far from enough (liver/kidney flushing, supporting liver/kidney herbs, juice fasting, coffee enemas, hot/cold compresses, castor oil packs, etc). Personally, I've done all these things for years (the cleanses), and now my diet is as clean/organic/good as virtually anyone I've ever heard of...but after a month on Lugol's, my kidneys AND liver became sensitive, then achey, then painful (not harshly painful, but similar to the pain one feels the day after a strenuous workout, when you haven't worked out for a long time). I have NEVER in my LIFE actually known exactly where my kidneys are located, because I'd never 'felt' them before.
So, YES, if you're feeling kidney sensitivity after one day on iodine, I would suggest you immediately look into kidney supporting herbs and cleansing/flushing.
And, so no, Iodine does not help to 'flush' the kidneys, it gives them MUCH more to do than they're already doing.
Thanks a mill for your înput. I have been putting nascent organic Iodine 1% into my drinking water for some time now. I was experiencing pain in both my kidbeys but thought it was due to my newly acquited veg juicing, i.e. that the juice was putting an extra burden on my kidneys by eliminating toxins from my body.
However I ran out of Iodine and stopped putting it in my water. I stopped having the pains in my kidneys after juicing I then resumed adding the iodine yesterday and lo and behiold the pain returned with a vengence. It only then occurred to me that perhaps it was the iodine that was causing the pain. I decided to google the issue today and I came across this website and your entry.
I so grateful for your advice. I an now certain the of the cause. I immediately stopped the iodine and drank loads of bottled mineral water and withing minutes the pain weent awaéy.
I will follow your advice now and start flushing my organs of elimination
I really don't understand the rush of anyone who was not taking iodine before to start at other than a minimum dosage, anything other than that really can send our body into shock. It's my belief that the more deficient a person has been the better it is to go slow to give the body time to get "reacquainted" with the missing element and "relearn" how to use it, whereas swamping the tissues with anything all of a sudden can even cause a new kind of imbalance.
I didn't consider myself to be totally "iodine deficient" when I came here back in April because I'd been taking bladderwrack caps for several years and had been taking Lugol's (the way Dr. Jarvis advised: 3 drops/week) since last September, still, when I increased to a daily drop I had a severe reaction. When I restarted, after resting for nearly a week, I only used a very dilute mixture of water/ACV/honey/Lugol's and only sipped a little bit a couple of times the first day, calculating my total intake at just 1/2 a drop and I took another half drop the next day. I then increased to 3/4 of a drop and I began doing the salt flush and using magnesium chloride transdermally which helped abort the palpitations which threatened to begin again. I also made sure to rest from all supplements one day a week. Soon I was taking one drop a day and the next week two and so on; my intentions was to at most go up to 50 mg. and stay there for a while if all went relatively well but soon I lost what little progress I'd made and soon I found out why. I read here that horizontal drops of Lugol's give twice the amount so I had inadvertently reached 75 mg. when I thought I was doing just 37.5. My sleep which had initially improved had deteriorated once again and I got up looking puffy and stayed that way all day and felt extremely fatigued. I also developed rapid heart beat and even after I decreased the amount of iodine and increased theh salt flushes I just felt increasingly worse. On my last couple of days on iodine I felt so ill I just wanted to cry. Last Friday after reading Uniquity's post about about her bad reaction I made the decision to stop iodine indefinitely and if/when I restart it will be at a much lower "maintenance" dosage. So I can't stress enough to anyone starting out that going slow is much better!
So, honestly, I recommend that at this point you stop the iodine completely and aim to support your kidneys first. You could try to get some cornsilk tea (available at health food or oriental stores) or any of the other natural kidney supporting remedies you can easily find by doing a search online. If you choose the tea, take it twice a day for about 10 days, then restart the Iodoral with one tablet or maybe even just half a tablet daily for 6 days and take one day to rest and give your body time to flush stuff out. Then increase 1/2 a tablet at a time to your target top intake but always paying close attention to how you feel because while some symptoms may be sign of detox others are definitely NOT. Remember that this type of supplementation has not been thoroughly been tested and we're being our own guinea pigs, also you are doing this to improve your health and not to complete in some kind of "marathon" nor win a competition about how much iodine you can really take.
You went from zero to 36 mgs - and detox will happen. Not unusual, it is your body using the Iodine to throw off the other halogens. Make sure to do the salt push - or use potassium chloride instead of the sodium chloride(sea salt). And chase it with 12-46 ounces of clean water... you can repeat this in 45 minutes if needed.
I have had mega bouts of detox from the halogens leaving and the pushes take care of them. And my symptoms and degree of detox changed, eased up over time.
The salt push moves the bromide out of the kidneys.
Exactly. The release of bromine can be HUGE (one of the patients, Brownsteins, I think) showed a serum level of a 100+mg...but keep in mind, AFTER starting the salt, the serum/urine measured an average of over 600 MG for a WEEK. (2400mg is considered a lethal dose of bromine).
So the salt increases the push/amount of bromine that GOES to the kidneys for elimination, and the report above shows that the salt definitely increased urinary output of bromide. But as of yet, I've not seen anyone address/explain adequately how that makes it easier or less stressful for the kidneys.
>>>The salt push moves the bromide out of the kidneys.<<<
The salt always lessened my symptoms of bromide detox, but it didn't make my kidneys feel a bit better. We're all different (so I'm certainly not trying to say that it didn't make YOUR kidneys feel better :) ...I just want to point out that it doesn't do that for everybody.