I've been lurking on the CZ forums for awhile now. I originally started researching coconut oil for use on hair and skin, and then started to add it into my diet after reading how good it is for you. I started pulling with it 2 days ago. I've read a few posts on here about the different ways that people melt their coconut oil before pulling with it, and others that have mentioned that VCO for pulling is not their first choice due to its solid state. I have been nuking my oil to liquefy it and didn't think anything of it until I saw these other posts. Is there any reason why others don't stick theirs in the microwave? Does it degrade it in some way?
I've been using coconut oil for OP for about 6 weeks. I scoop out about a teaspoon, if it's solid, and chew it till it's all melted. It only takes a few seconds. Then I swish it for ten minutes or more. Then I swallow it, because it's so nutritious.
I read that there's bacteria in the oil after swishing, but, so what? It's probably dead or dying from the oil. There's bacteria on most of the food we eat and it's mostly friendly bacteria. And the unfriendly bacteria can't last long during digestion, if our stomach acids are normal and if our GI tract has enough friendly bacteria. I take a little kefir each day to get plenty of friendly bacteria. It reproduces itself every day when added to milk and it's very nutritious too.
If you nuke your oil, you should spit it out when done with it. I think any oil or even butter probably works for OP, but I'd spit out any hydrogenated oil or transfat. Any other oil that's not nuked I'd swallow.
IF your digestive track is in good working condition, then it might be OK to swallow.
I'd hazard a guess that many people here at CZ have less than favorable flora in their stomachs, so we don't encourage swallowing spent oil.
The only doctor who studied this said not to swallow. The ayurvedics want you to go outside and spit it into a mud hole and bury it.
I just want to clarify that on this forum, we do not advocate swallowing at all.
But each person makes their own decision on this, and can do as they please. I'm not at all wishing to debate the issue, just the stance of this site since the inception. Larx, you are probably much healthier than many of us that had suffered from digestive problems throughout the years.
And by the way, after I found out seeds will not sprout in microwaved water, I stopped using my microwave, period. I think microwaves completely change the molecular structure of any substance put into it. They scare the living daylights out of me. It still freaks me out how much microwaved popcorn I ate throughout the years!!
I use coconut oil...I dont know what microwaving it would do, but it makes little sense to me why you would need to. I just take a spoonful, put it in my mouth and start to move it around in there...its completely liquid within a minute.
lol why would you nuke coconut oil? It takes seconds to melt. At least use the stove if you have to.
If your coconut oil comes in a glass jar,(It SHOULD if it's a good brand) just keep it on top of the fridge or in front of a window where the sun shines, or on something warm to keep it melted. Tv? Computer? Floor near the heater?
I hate the taste of coconut oil. So I used to scrape out a spoonful and swallow a clump.. just like swallowing a pill.