i got my urine heavy metal test results back. i am high in mercury and lead...not toxic levels but outside the reference range. i started drinking chlorophyll but would i also benefit from a short term regimen of DMSA pills?
Let me clear up some confusion about medicine in general: Unless you have are about to die or have a visible condition like a broken bone or something blocking a blood vessel, when instead you have a "fuzzy" condition, no one at all will be able to tell you in advance what he results of taking X or Y will be. When you're lucky there are statistical statements - x% of people with a condition like that experience this or that, etc.
When you ask about chelating and mercury, however, you are on the farthest end of certainty possible! So nobody can answer your question.
What you do: Do you have a reason to suspect mercury could be an issue (apart from your test results, they don't mean much)? If not,... well you get the point.
If you have reason to be concerned about mercury the only way to know if a chelator would help is to TRY IT. With "try it" I mean regularly using it for 3-6 months, one-time experience, even if positive, is not a clear indicator - unless you have just experienced an acute poisoning, which usually happens in industrial settings only. Because many chronically mercury-poisoned people won't feel much the first few times, and if you do feel something it could be a psychological placebo effect.
And about "reference ranges": Forget it. Watch some medicine lectures, it's all on youtube these days. Doctors use blood- and other values only IN ADDITION to a lot of other tools, by themselves they mean NOTHING, unless they show extremes in which case the extreme will have to be treated (if it's life-threatening).
However, the nice thing about mercury test results is that while they are useless when they don't show anything, when they DO show significant mercury than it's pretty certain that you HAVE considerable depots, unless you were just exposed when you performed the test and otherwise not.
Also to consider in your case - lead and mercury: There is a thing that the toxicity of several poisons can be orders of magnitude higher than that of any single one of them. Lead and mercury are in that category, together they become about a 1000 times more dangerous than either one by itself!
So DMSA would be a good choice, because it chelates both metals pretty well. For mercury alone DMPS is (a lot) more effective, but DMPS is not very good for lead.
If you have no significant burden (of mercury and lead) than taking a chelator will have no effect, should you experience problems it will be a(nother) sign that you have a problem, and also that you've chosen the right treatment.
since doing the DMSA challenge if have experienced a sore throat for weeks and some digestive disturbances. im not sure if there is a correlation or not. also i have 4 Amalgam fillings in my mouth. i do have some chronic ailments such as IBS, food sensitivites, oral lichen planus and i get tired and depressed very easily. i suppose i will need to have the Amalgams all out before i do a detox so that may be a good starting point
Don't take chelators as long as you have Amalgam fillings. Get them out ASAP - but **safely**. If they are drilled out normally you'll be in some deep shit, even otherwise "mercury skeptical" normal doctors will warn you about removing Amalgam fillings. As you know from basic physics drilling creates heat - and no amount of cooling will change that, the only thing that matters is the heat at the tip of the drill. This creates mercury vapor, which is even worse than organic(ally bound) mercury because vapor (gas) has no restrictions about moving in and out of cells - and this happens close to your brain. So read up about the minimum protection required for Amalgam removal and make sure your dentist has those. This is all you'll have to think about for now, consider chelation and what it means only when this is done. Stopping exposure is THE major thing to do now.
Thanks- i cant believe i had a dentist drill out old fillings years ago. I did twice. im amazed i didnt get brain damage. once everything is out and you detox, is it possible to reverse any ailments or is the damage permanent?
People will yell and scream that the chelators don't "cross the blood-brain barrier" (and you can be sure 99% of those screaming don't even know what that is, not even approximately).
I know one guy who had severe mercury poisoning after he got 16 fillings removed without protection. So much, that "official medicine" noticed it, it was diagnosed by a neurologist in brain scans too (in PET scans). He got DMPS (injections) for several years, and after that time a repeat scan showed nothing out of the ordinary, no damage could be detected. He also feels kind of normal (as far as brain capacity is concerned).
Myself, I had quite severe brain function limitations especially during the height of my chelation therapy, but in the years before that, when I had still considered myself perfectly healthy, my ability to do abstract and complex reasoning got worse, and I developed "tunnel vision" (not literally, I mean I was unable to "see the big picture" and got stuck forever on details that lead nowhere).
A few months ago I felt that I had improved considerably, but I wanted proof: I started studying math (I already have another degree) and learning to play a hard-to-play instrument (to check fine motor control) and I'm better in all those things than I was the last 15 years at least.
So f*** those idiots who say chelation won't do anything for your brain, f*** them... Sorry for the language, but they write the same BS again and again and again without knowing anything, they just repeat each other's words, an eternal circle-jerk.
LOL I admire your passionate take on this :) Im going to schedule my next Amalgam removal tomorrow. i feel like ive had reduced brain function for a while so im hoping this action will help improve things
Yo (Yes/No). Yes - mobilizing mercury, if you were unlucky even right from the fillings themselves, always damages something. No - because (depending on the condition of your body on a sub-cellular level) your systems are used to dealing with damage. It only gets bad when there is too much of it for too long a time, or when a piece of DNA that encodes stuff (proteins) used for this exact purpose gets damaged. Why is it bad when stress (on cellular level) exists for too long: cells have limited production capabilities. When stress is high they (partially or fully) stop doing what they usually do and activate other parts of the DNA, and concentrate on repair and damage mitigation.
A lot of random stuff to tell you "who knows" :-) - but I would not worry about it. I too had my first DMPS test (that's a lot more chelator in the blood than you had there) when I still had 4 fillings, I don't think it made any difference for me at all.
I can't say but I would not touch bear's garlic or cilantro. I considered it wild tales (esoteric people tell) that any of that stuff could possibly do anything with mercury, but I got huge, and I mean really really big problems after trying to prove to myself that those are tales when I ate a lot of bear's garlic shortly after my last a.fillings had been removed.
And it wasn't the a.filling removal itself that caused it - everything was fine until an hour after the bear's garlic, and I had done the removal in steps without any such effects, AND I had taken a DMPS test the day after the last fillings had been removed which would have detected high levels of mercury in circulation. Besides, I tried bear's garlic again several times, same result. Today I can eat that stuff.
I tried cilantro very very late after those experiences, after 3 years of "real" chelation. It still had and has reproducible effects, but I can take a lot of that stuff and they are still relatively mild (in comparison to previous problems I had).
If you ask me: don't touch any of that stuff.
An old toxicologist (died a year ago) had said that mono-thiols like you find them in bear's garlic can mobilize mercury, but you need di-thiols (two thiol groups on the molecule) to actually bind it. So bear's garlic may indeed mobilize heavy metals, but then they are free to roam inside you. According to my own very badly gone wrong self-experiment this seems to be right.