Chlorine dioxide will form an acid when mixed with water, the pH is quite low. If this enters the blood stream, it will react with the blood's buffer system, since the body tries to keep the pH of blood around 7. There the acid (H2ClO3) will be neutralized and converted into a salt. Will it just be converted back to NaClO2, what we have started with?? Or some other form of salt, like KClO2 or Ca(ClO2)2? The whole thing doesn't make sense to me. The acid that forms with ClO2 can't stay that way in the body. I have some background in chemistry (see my previous post) but that is quite a while ago.
Is there anybody out there with better background in chemistry than me to answer this question?
I did one experiment: I made some activated Miracle-Mineral-Supplement and added baking soda until my pH paper showed pH 7. Lots of bubbles (CO2 released from sodium carbonate) were released. I needed quite a bit of the backing soda, so activated MMS is quite acidic! After that I tasted the neutralized solution - it didn't taste like chlorine anymore, so it must have converted back into a salt! And that is what I think happens in the body.
So is taking MMS straight without activation the same??
When sodium chlorite is activated properly chlorous acid is formed. The resultant solution has some free chlorine dioxide along with the chlorous acid. As the chlorine dioxide is used up, the chlorous acid breaks down releasing more chlorine dioxide in an effort to maintain balance in the chemistry.
The ingestion of chlorous acid has not been studied in humans.
When a sodium chlorite solution is ingested, it is speculated that activation takes place in the stomach. Since stomach acid is HCl, all of the available chlorine dioxide should be released and no chlorous acid is formed.
We do know from studies done with chlorine dioxide (not chlorous acid) that chlorine dioxide immediately breaks down to chlorite ions in the body. Concentrations of chlorine dioxide have never been measured in the blood, so we don't really know if it lasts long enough to get into the blood stream. Chlorite ions have a half life of about 42 hours in the various organs of the body. Some of the chlorite ions do form salt in the body, and the rest is passed out in the urine.
There is often a wide gap between what Jim Humble thinks takes place and the actual Science of what takes place. It appears that Jim Humble has no interest in resolving these issues, so we are left with a bit of a mystery.
I also read about the reactance product of chlorite. And yes, if sodium chlorite is ingested it should react with the stomach acid to release chlorine dioxide.
A friend of mine told me an amazing success story about an acquaintance of his that got really sick from toxic mold that this guy's doctor didn't give him much longer to live. My friend gave him a bottle of Miracle-Mineral-Supplement and after taking Miracle-Mineral-Supplement (activated with lemon juice) and quickly getting to 15 drops (I think per day) he got well. When he told my friend that he got a clean bill of health from his doctor, he had tears in his eyes!
I have two root canals - and Dr. Hussar here in Reno told me that root canals are always infected. I knew about the connection between dental (& gum) health and arthritis and cardiovascular health. A few weeks ago, when I felt pain in my left hand and fingers, I took activated MMS and the next day it was gone. Amazing.
But I want to understand the underlying chemistry better. I wonder in what form it will be transported through the body, because it does work. I need to know how it can survive in the presence of a buffer. Way back in chemistry I learned that a strong acid and a weak salt (salt formed from a weak acid) will react to form a strong salt and a weak acid. Example is backing soda to eliminate too much stomach acid. It forms to table salt and carbonic acid, where most of it is released as carbon dioxide.
So what happens when chlorine dioxide interacts with a buffer, like a phosphate based buffer solution? I have to read more about it.
I read on http://www.epa.gov/ogwdw000/mdbp/pdf/alter/chapt_4.pdf
Section 126.96.36.199 that chlorine dioxide changes its effectiveness to kill pathogens when the pH is varied - so I must have been mistaken, chlorine dioxide may exist at neutral or even alkaline pH values! The document cites the scientific literature that a higher pH is more effective.
I really don't understand chlorine dioxide and how it stays in molecular form in an alkaline solutions.
The document also says that chlorine dioxide is more effective at higher temperatures (Section 188.8.131.52).
A search on Google showed possible use of phosphate based buffer solutions to achieve near neutral pH with chlorine dioxide. I guess it must be possible with the correct buffer chemicals.
I'll post more on this subject as I learn more about it.
Sorry if I'm just stating the obvious, but I want to understand this too. Is it possible that activated Miracle-Mineral-Supplement is effective because chlorous acid is carried in the blood releasing small amounts of CLO2 as it travels through the bloodstream? I know that early on when I took activated Miracle-Mineral-Supplement something was reacting in my body because I could feel tiny explosions of intense heat in my left foot. That could have been chlorous acid carried by the blood that released some CLO2 at that site, where it presumably reacted with pathogens there. And then, to restate what you said above, unactivated MMS is ineffective when ingested because no chlorous acid forms to be taken up by the bloodstream. Unactivated MMS releases CLO2 in the stomach, but that immediately becomes a salt which is not reactive in the bloodstream.
I have recently tried ingesting very small amounts of unactivated MMS (1 drop of 22% MMS in a cup of water). It is SO much easier to drink that way, but I see now that it's not likely to do much good. And indeed, as far as I could tell it didn't do much.
There are no studies looking at how chlorous acid behaves in the body, so we don't know if it gets into the blood stream or not.
I never said that sodium chlorite by itself is ineffective. Jim Humble reported wonderful success with it on his first trip to Africa. Miracle-Mineral-Supplement evolved because he thought that if a little bit was good, a whole lot more should be even better. Also, he was looking for a way to speed the process up.
I don't happen to agree with him. If a little bit works, stick with it, and a little patience often goes a long way. Most people don't get ill overnight so why should we expect healing to take place within a few hours...?
Our group has seen very good results using low concentration sodium chlorite solutions. It takes a couple of months for the process to work, but the lack of adverse side effects makes that worth the extra time it takes.
We are working with 0.045 ml of Miracle-Mineral-Supplement (about 3/4 of a drop) in 1 liter of water. We actually use a 5% sodium chlorite solution which makes measuring much easier.