I have an ozone air cleaner for the air... but I am aiming for the mold on the wood.
I am highly allergic to mold.
Even between the windows and I am affected.
Is the factor in remediation just money? Of course what difference does it make. There is no financial help to remove mold if needed (like in a large problem) so one must learn how to remove it themselves.
I have been hunting... there is no really good info on what to absolutely use. Bleach is more toxic than vinegar but should work...
I would guess most people think it is no big deal.. It is. So money is not the issue. Iodine would be non toxic but will it work?
I have also read essential oils like cloves and cinnamon.
But do they really work.. I don;t know. However those are also non toxic.
High Ozone Shock Treatments are very effective for removing stubborn odors like smoke, mold, and animal odors. It is useful to "blow out" an unoccupied room with a large amount of ozone to kill many of the odors and germs that may be present.
This is completely different from the use of ozone for low level air purifying.
I have to say that borax works well for that green stuff you get on outside balconies.
If the inside of your home is full then you need to vent the walls and allow high concentration of ozone every few months or get a certain Photon Light Emission (Rife) device known to but no longer allowed to claim the elimination of mold inside walls.
That is more of what I was looking for.. Just for the record.
Newport... the RIFE will kill it through walls? I don;t get that???
I am so allergic I will need to be vigilant for the rest of time unless some energy medicine modality can clear my sensitivity. And I DON:T know if that is useful...after all at least I know when it is there and to get rid of it before it is MASSIVE.
Borax or baking soda will easily do the trick but inhaling borax over a long period of time can cause health problems. Thus, baking soda wins hands down.
I have an ozone shock treatment service in St. Louis, MO (SkunkWorks OST -- http://www.skunkworks-ost.com/)
and I recently remediated a very mildewy home using Concrobium (Home Depot) for the concrete basement floor, baking soda for the carpets, and ozone at shock levels for everything else (walls, furniture, ceilings, ductwork, etc.). The mildew fumes (VOCs) were so strong that I had to wear a respirator while I worked. After treatment, I exclaimed to the owner, "I can smell your kitchen!" Getting rid of offensive odors allows the natural "aromas" of one's home to come out.
There's even an Italian doctor who kills cancer with baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) making the case that cancer is a fungus.
For large areas, you can make a solution using 1 cup of baking soda to 1 gallon of warm water. If you mix it in a pump sprayer (used for spraying pesticides or garden mixes), you can spray it all over the place. But it will leave a white residual film (good for long term mold killing). Or water it down a bit so that it's not so visible when it dries. 'Tis great for spraying down a shower, musty drapes, or basement walls. Cost is 50 cents per box. Gotta love it!
For carpets, I devised a unique process whereby you simply sprinkle baking soda onto carpet, push it into the deeper layers of the carpet using a vacuum cleaner with the vacuum disconnected, leave for 4 days, vacuum it up, and repeat the process until the mildew odor is gone. Very effective! There is no need to be exacting with the amount used because it will do the job in a very short time regardless of whether you use a ton of it or a medium dusting.
Bear in mind that simply sprinkling on the top layer of carpet will not do the job because mold spores have already worked their way deep into the lower layers of the carpet. Btw, mildew is simply mold that hasn't turned black and is in or on cloth or fabric.
For "mold on the wood strip in between [your] storm window and outside pane," you can simply make a paste with baking soda and water, scrub the area, wipe but leave a residual amount behind, then wash it completely off a few days later.
Baking soda (powder or in solution) is also great for stinky athlete's feet and shoes. (There's a fungus among us.)
I've read that vinegar works great but being chemically sensitive, I can't be near the stuff.
I know this is an old post so I hope this helps others who are battling mold.
Jesus said to him, "I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life. No one comes to the Father except through me." — John 14:6