Something happened over the weekend that slightly shook my faith in OP.
A few weeks ago, part of one of my crowns chipped off. My dentist said it was manufacturer's error, removed the crown, and put in a temporary. On Saturday night I was at dinner with friends and the temporary fell out. Immediately my breath and mouth smelled like....well, actually it smelled like my old piano teacher from thirty years ago, which was extremely strange. (I'm not kidding, by the way. This is true). I was in a lot of pain too.
So I left the restaurant and was rushed to the dentist, who saw me as an emergency. He said that the cement holding the temporary in place had been completely 'washed away'. What's more, it must have started leaking as soon as it was put in because bacteria had seaped into the gap, which accounted for the decay and the horrendous smell - the smell of dying human tissue.
So here's the problem. First, swishing seems to have dissolved the dental cement. (I'm also getting pains in other teeth, I think from swishing away fillings or whatever) But even though I swish avidly every day, and recently with oregano oil, the level of decay in my tooth was enough to eat away at the tissue in a mere two weeks. How can that be? I must confess, I'm perplexed.
Yesterday, the new crown was put on and I'm fine now. Still, it was a moment of confusion regarding the benefits of this whole swishing thing.
One thing I'm aware of is that oils can dissolve rubbers, latex, and some epoxies. As has been noted it is acidic by nature. I'm not surprised that it affected the cement used to secure the temporary. It is something that anyone with dental work will have to keep in mind.
The other thing to remember is that OP is not intended to kill off all germs. So, some bacteria that is trapped against flesh by a temporary tooth will likely not be washed out with other toxins. Also, the excretions will affect the raw skin more than it would healthy skin creating a toxic environment for the bacteria to flourish. And while you may not notice it, the daily pressure of chewing on a tooth, especially a temp that is losing epoxy, will cause scratches and scrapes to your gums in that area which will allow for more toxic build up. Basically, it seems you had an open wound created by the temp being pressed into the gum several times of day. Kinda like a bedsore in the mouth. If OP was a total disinfectant(100% kill rate) there would be no infection. But it is obvious from your experience that that is not the case. Because the irritant wasn't removed, no healing could take place, so the condition worsened instead.
Now, I have had pain in my teeth after OP. I connected it with a Liver Flush that I had just done, and my low levels of calcium, magnesium, and zinc. I have gotten those minerals up, and have not had a problem with pain since. I also do not swish when I know my minerals are very low, such as after flushing. But that is just me.
Thanks. I'm greatly reassured my posts I saw like this. I've been OP'ing now for about three months and honestly came close to beliving that it was breaking down, rather than helping, my mouth. I simply think it exposes weaknesses, and you're right, it obviously can't reach inside a sealed tooth. So all is well. The crown is fine, the old piano teacher smell has gone, and my worries have evaporated with it.
Oilpulling.com has a testimonial from a chap who had considerable previous decay before starting pulling. He ended up having to go to the dentist as he understood that pulling can help and prevent but cannot completely restore the unrestorable.
My crowns are the most problematic of my teeth. I think that it is easier for bacteria to hide within the confines on a partially open system. The cement is never a full seal (witness the amount of crowns that just fall out). The crown is rarely flush with the stump the dentist cut to place the crown on. This leaves exposed dentine to collect further infection.
If the tooth has a root filling there is a known problem of residual infection lurking within the socket which, as it has no blood supply left, continues to breed. The best the body can do here is to quarantine the area and contunally fight any bacteria escaping. The bacteria lurk in the spongy holes which in a live tooth have a positive drainage system.
The cement your dentist is using is obviously similar in disolvability to the tartar that collects on teeth that oil pulling is known to remove quite quickly (from experience of board members).
I have had no problems with my crowns loosening yet but, my dentist when he fits a temporary takes at least 10 minutes to wiggle it loose to place the proper crown. I hear of numerous people saying a temporary crown has comes loose. Maybe this is for ease of replacement when your proper crown arrives?
You may find pain in a live tooth stump as the dentine has no protection.
I think the best recommendation would be for you to find out the pros and cons of the cement bonds your dentist could use and the benefits to your gums and other teeth from the thorough bacterial removal. Take the time to do your own research (there are a lots of links in recent threads) and make your own decision. I understand that original listerine mouthwash/baking soda brushing is the next best option.
But I suspect temporary cement is not going to hold up to swishing no matter how you slice it - you might have to wait for the permanent one and give it a few days to set at that before restarting your protocol.
I hate the thought of having to give this up; I have a few crowns which I have been keeping an eye on - have not noticed any loosening but am trying to prepare myself for it if they do. Way too much positive has been gained in such a short time....I would be quite sorrowful if I had to stop it.
What did the doctor say about it - did you mention the oil or were you afraid he would not replace for free?
The issue is not having it pulled, it's the fact that they want to insert a titanium bolt into my jaw to hold the replacement in place. I have no metal in my mouth, do I really want to be putting some in? I wonder.