The preferred oils seem to be unrefined sunflower and sesame(untoasted). This is new to a lot of us and there is much experimentation going on! People are adding tea tree and oregano oils to their pulls, I've seen coconut oils referenced...Since this therapy is coming out of India (see forum description), I'm wondering if the preferred oils are dictated by geography...ghee pulling, anyone? The only problem I could see with olive oil is the relatively strong flavor. I personally love it, think I'll go mix some up with grapefruit juice and...(oops, got a little confused there. that was LAST night). If you can tolerate the strong flavor of olive oil for 20 mins. or so, I don't see why not! I use hain sunflower..very mild.. :)
"Can we use unrefined oil for OP, as unrefined oil will have some vitamins good for health?
Dr. Karach has recommended only refined oil. This has been used by millions of people with wonderful cures and accepted in practice. Regarding unrefined oil there may be ingredients injurious to the body and its taste, color and smell may not be agreeable. It may cause or induce vomiting sensation in some people. Since pesticides and insecticides are used in crops, it is possible that trace elements of such poisonous chemicals are not only harmful to health but also carcinogenic. Since refined oil is colorless, odorless and tasteless, such a situation would not arise. I therefore suggest do not use unrefined oils for OP."
"Procedure for practice of Oil Pulling:
· Take one tablespoon (two tea spoons=10ml) of refined sunflower oil or sesame oil in
the mouth on an empty stomach in the morning.
· With the mouth closed and chin up, without speed or effort, sip, suck, and pull the oil
through the teeth in a relaxed way, and also exercise the jaw as if chewing, for a total
period of 15 to 20 minutes.
· Do not gargle in the throat.
· Initially the oil is viscous but slowly it turns thin and white like milk as you continue.
· (If the oil color is yellow and has not turned white pulling is not done sufficiently long or oil
quantity is more).
· Spit out as and when the mouth gets full.
· Wash your mouth and teeth thoroughly.
· Drink two or three glasses of water.
· Do not swallow. However, inadvertently if you swallow, there is nothing to worry. It will go
out through motion if not digested.
· Do not spit where people walk or on vegetation. You can spit in the toilet and flush it.
· If you are allergic to a particular brand, change the brand of oil or to different oil. Make
sure the oil is good and refined.
· Keep chin up so that pulling covers the back of oral cavity and the molar teeth.
· For children of five years and above, only one teaspoon full (five ml) of oil will do.
Important note: Oils other than sun flower and sesame oils do not produce desired results."
LOL!... (hearty chuckles)...that was funny about the olive oil\grapefruit comment. That was our topic last night.
So you think you can use olive oil? Or maybe going with the safflower is better since I don't want to overkill the olive oil. Then I won't want it with my grapefruit juice. Or maybe I'll get mix up and swish with grapefruit juice! (chuckling!!)
I just started the oil pull yesterday and i got 2 diffrent types of oil. I got the Extra-Virgin Olive-Oil and the sesame oil but come to find out the sesame is toasted. I LOVED the taste of the toasted sesame but im hearing some folks say its not good to be toasted. I curious as to why that is. Also i looked for the sunflower oil and cant seem to find it. Any suggestions?